Wild mushrooms are present in certain areas and can pose a risk to your pet.

It’s important to understand what mushrooms can do to your pet’s health after being consumed. A lot of the times, you will overlook wild mushrooms and not even notice them until your pet falls ill and the vet lets you know what happened.

To understand what wild mushrooms can do, it’s time to dig deeper into the subject.

99 % of Mushrooms are Safe

According to modern research, the average wild mushroom doesn’t pose a risk to your pet’s health. However, the number is still set at 99 % of all wild mushrooms, which means there are certain species that can do quite a bit of damage to your pet’s digestive system. As a result, it makes sense to avoid any type of mushroom that is seen being grown outdoors.

If you are unsure about what type of mushroom is in front of you, it’s better to keep your pet away from it at all costs. It is not worth the risk!

Toxic Mushrooms

While 99 % of all wild mushrooms are safe for pets, there are a select few species that aren’t.

These toxic mushrooms include:

* Amanita Muscaria

* Amanita Phalloides

* Amanita Gemmata

* Helvella Lacunosa

These mushrooms are well-noted for hurting a pet’s digestive system and posing a tremendous risk over the long-term. It’s better to steer clear of these mushrooms and ensure your pet doesn’t start nibbling away as soon as they spot on.

For example, dogs have been known to take a bite and this is what leads to a long list of unwanted symptoms. As a pet owner, you have to be alert and make sure to avoid areas that are known for these wild mushrooms.

Long List of Health Problems

Let’s assume your pet crosses path with the wrong type of wild mushroom. What is going to happen then? In general, your pet is going to start digging in and eating the mushrooms without realising it’s bad for them. This is a natural reaction and something the pet will do while they are outdoors nibbling away.

When the wild mushroom enters their digestive system, it can start to cause significant health-related issues. These issues can include digestive trouble, fatigue, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures.

It’s important to remain aware of where you are walking and what your pet is doing at all times. This is essential when it comes to keeping them safe throughout the trip.

Final Thoughts 

In the end, wild mushrooms aren’t always going to be toxic but it’s best to avoid taking a chance. 1 % of wild mushrooms still pose a tremendous risk and you may not have the time to know what is healthy and what is not.

Why take the risk when you can keep your pet away from the wild mushrooms?

From your perspective, it’s best to stay away from wild mushrooms and only focus on buying the best pet food UK has to offer. This will ensure your pet’s health remains a top priority and they’re in good health year-round.