Heat transfer printing is noted to be a new form of decoration method. It comes with iron-on decals of the old. With the help of heat transfer, also noted to be digital transfer, the customised design or logo gets printed onto the right transfer paper. Then the ink will be thermally transferred from paper to the said fabric with the help of pressure and heat. Make sure to check in with the complete heat transferring capabilities, where you are likely to use the heat transfer as a customised decorative method. But learning the basics of heat transfer media for now is important before you end up taking the next move into question.
How this method of printing works?
Heat transfer can be easily performed in some different ways. You have dye sublimation transfer, inkjet transfer, digital applique transfer and even vinyl transfer as some of the options noted in here. Make sure to check in with the complete decoration method guide for procuring some detailed information on ways of Using Heat Transfer To Personalize Your Items. For the time being, let’s learn more about the commercial heat transfer and how it is performed for that general basis.
The right steps to follow with the custom heat transfer printing:
Nowadays, companies, big or small, are currently working with the customised heat transfer printing methods. Going through these steps will actually help you to know more about the ways this method performs and how the result turns out to be the much desired one in here. Searching the internet will help you to come across the main stages to focus at.
- The first one is to procure your necessary supplies handy. If you have given professionals this task to perform, they know how to work on it with ease. Creating a complete list beforehand will help you big time with the services for sure.
- Now, it is time for you to work on the design. For that, experts would suggest you to use the graphic design software. It will help you to mock up the design right on your laptop or PC. Be sure to take the ink colour and size into consideration before moving with the second moves.
- You must be wondering what are the types of heat transfer media and its uses? Before that, you have to focus on the step to start printing your design. The company’s logo or the custom design will be printed on special heat transfer paper with the help of pigment ink, inkjet ink or even sublimation ink, based on the application and product as used as base.
- Now the time has come for you to cut the design out. A vinyl cutter is used for trimming down the image. It is vital for supplier, printed, and store bought transfer and won’t be a part of the manufacturing process.
- It is then time for warming up the heat press. For that, open the press and separate the heat platen from the heat pad and then leave it open while the platen is warming up. For the majority of applications, temperature will be between 350 degree and 375 degree F.
- Now, you need to adjust the pressure for the heat transfer media method. The pressure of the current press is solely depending on the fabric’s thickness. The thicker ones are in need of less pressure. For the majority of the projects, higher or medium pressure is the most promising option to choose.
- Make sure to set the time. It is vital as there are multiple times related to various forms of heat transfer. A timing guide at this point, is always a good call to make.
- For example, the inkjet paper will take around 14 to 18 seconds, the dye sublimation transfer will be within 25 to 30 seconds, the digital applique transfer will be within 2o to 30 seconds and for vinyl transfer, you have to dedicate most time, from 45 to 60 seconds.
- For the next step, you need to set substrate and then transfer it in place. Make sure to position the item onto the plate first and then place the transferring paper facing upwards on the desired location of the item within the pressing area. For vinyl and applique transfer, you might have to cover this transfer paper with one thin cloth as an extra protective shield.
- When the place is in the right place, remember to close the press. For that, you need to pull the handle down of the heat transfer media machine and then clamp the press tightly shut. At this time, the pressure and temperature needs to be set. So, all you have to do is press the start button and you are good to go.
- When the timer that was pre-set goes off, open up the press and then remove the film. Make sure to remove the paper while the transfer paper beneath is hot still and the design will get printed onto your selected item. This is how you are going to heat press your customised apparel for the company.
Supplied and equipment as needed for this heat pressed printing:
There you have some basic equipment that you must have handy while working on the heat transfer media now. There are various methods in which you get to accomplish the heat transfer method. However, unless you have the much needed tools by your side, this entire process won’t get to work much like you have asked it to.
- You will need a computer as the basic tool to consider. Along with that, a printer is a must.
- Don’t forget to invest some money on ink and heat transfer paper as the basic and most important tools for this project.
- Some of the other items used are cutter, heat press, heat pads, heat tape, substrates and heat resistant sheeting.
Once you have these items by your side, focusing on the best heat transferring media for clothing and other items for the company won’t be a tough call to address at all.