Deciding which Teach English Abroad is right for you can be tough. With so many acronyms and different organizations, it’s hard to know where to start. In this blog post, we’ll explore the different types of TEFL certifications to help you decide which one is best for you. 

The two main types of TEFL certifications are “in-class” and “online.” An in-class certification requires you to attend a live, in-person course at an accredited language school or university. This type of certification is generally considered the best option for serious teachers looking to gain expertise and be competitive in the job market. Online certifications, on the other hand, are offered by online TEFL providers and can be completed remotely. This type of certification is usually more affordable and may be better suited for those who cannot attend an in-person course or who don’t need to gain as much expertise. 

When it comes to the type of certification, it’s important to consider your goals and needs. Do you want a more in-depth program that will equip you with the skills and knowledge necessary for success in the teaching field? Or are you just looking for a basic certification that will get you started quickly? Additionally, look at the reputation of providers offering both in-class and online certifications. Make sure you’re getting your certification from an accredited provider with a good reputation. 


The CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is offered by Cambridge University. It’s one of the most widely recognized TEFL certifications and is often required by schools. It’s a 4-week, full-time course that includes at least six hours of observed teaching practice. The CELTA is a great option if you want to get started in teaching English quickly. 


The DELTA (Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults) is also offered by Cambridge University and is the next level up from the CELTA. It’s a part-time, modular course that takes anywhere from 9 months to 2 years to complete. The DELTA is designed for experienced teachers who want to further their careers. 


TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is an umbrella term that covers all types of English language teaching. TESOL certificates are offered by a variety of organizations, including Oxford Seminars and International House. TESOL courses range from short, online courses to longer, in-person courses. 

There are a lot of options when it comes to choosing a TEFL certification. The most important thing is to do your research and choose the certification that’s right for you and your goals. If you want to get started in teaching English quickly, the CELTA might be a good option for you. If you’re an experienced teacher looking to further your career, the DELTA could be a good fit. And if you want a general overview of English language teaching, a TESOL course might be right up your alley. Whichever route you choose, make sure you do your research so you can find the perfect fit for you.