16 Facts About Matilda To Get You All Nostalgic
If you grew up in the 90s, you were probably a big fan of ‘Matilda’. The movie, based on a story by Roald Dahl, was about a little girl who uses her superpowers to fight back against her parents and her mean principal, Agatha Trunchbull. In this post we shall go back into our childhood and learn more about this classic tale!
1. The actress who played Trunchbull even stayed in character off-set and was mean to everyone in her life while shooting the movie.
2. Matilda’s parents in the movie are actually a married couple!
3. Wormwood is the name of a deathly plant that can cause kidney failure.
4. Pam Ferris was also the mean aunt in the Harry Potter movies!
5. Keaton and Kylie Tyndall were originally supposed to play Matilda, but they caught the flu instead.
6. Roald Dahl’s portrait appears in the Trunchbull home.
7. Danny DeVito played Matilda’s father, and he also narrated the story and directed it!
8. Mariska Hargitay was originally supposed to be Miss Honey, but she turned down the offer.
9. The Liccy doll was a nod at Roald Dahl’s wife, Felicity “Liccy” d’Abreu Croslan.
10. Matilda mispronounces Charles Dickens as “Dahls Chickens”, yet another Roald Dahl easter egg.
11. The writing on the board was the most difficult scene to shoot.
The task comprised magnets, chalks, and writing on the back of the board!
12. Paul Reubens, the FBI agent, is known for his comic role of Pee-wee Herman!
13. The trailer for the movie featured score from The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Go ahead and watch the trailer!
14. Mara Wilson lost her mother to breast cancer while filming the movie.
15. Mara didn’t appear in movies after Matilda because the loss of her mother affected her deeply.
However, she is still stopped in streets and recognized as Matilda by fans!
16. Matilda’s doll had been designed and handcrafted by Mara herself.
Its name is Wanda and it’s adorable!
Did you love this movie as a kid? SHARE these Matilda facts with all your friends and reminisce together!